Bennche UTVs may catch your eye with their modern look and appealing price tag. However, as with any vehicle, problems can lurk beneath the surface. While owner reviews are scarce, there are some widespread issues that you may encounter as a Bennche UTV owner.
The most common problems with Bennche UTV include:
- Transmission problems
- Clogged radiator
- Poor idling
- Engine starting issues
- Issue due to broken shafts
- Squealing noise produced by brakes
- Smoke production
- Jamming of the throttle body
- Problems in shifting
In this article, I’ll walk you through some of the most common Bennche UTV problems and provide a step-by-step instructions on how to fix them.
Basic Features of Bennche UTV:
Four-Stroke, V-Twin Cylinders
Electronic Control Unit
Shaft Drive; On-Demand 2WD/4WD; Locking Differential
Fuel Tank Capacity
Bore & Stroke
91 x 61.5 mm
10.5 : 1
Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI)
12 volts 35 amp
29 x 8-15
Independent Dual A-Arm
Dual Ventilated Hydraulic Disc
Now that you have a holistic idea about the Bennche UTV (X2 1000) specification let’s head to the associated problems and fixes.
1. Transmission Problems:
Transmission problems are one of the most common issues that tend to occur in Bennche UTVs. While these problems can happen in any UTV, Bennche UTVs are especially prone to having issues with their transmission.
- One of the most common problems reported by users of Bennche UTVs is a grinding noise when shifting to low and high gears. This issue is usually noticed after the UTV has been used for up to 80-120 hours, indicating that the shift linkage needs to be adjusted.
- Another common transmission problem with Bennche UTVs is a worn-out clutch. If the clutch is worn out, it can cause the UTV to jerk and shudder when shifting.
- Finally, some users of Bennche UTVs have reported that the gear selector sometimes slips when attempting to change gears. The worn-out gear selector parts or poor lubrication usually cause this issue.
How to Fix:
You can adjust the shift linkage by following the steps:
- STEP 1: Remove the seats and center console of your UTV so that you can access the turn-back shift linkage, which is responsible for the gear change.
- STEP 2: Hold the turnbuckle with the help of an 8mm wrench, and loosen the locking nuts from both sides using a 14mm wrench.
- STEP 3: Turn the turnbuckle in a counterclockwise shift after loosening it till it shifts to low gear. Do the same step in a vice versa way for the high gear.
- STEP 4: Turn the ignition switch ON and attempt to shift the gears to check the correct position and grinding noise.
- STEP 5: Tighten the locking nuts after confirming the correct position and reinstall the center console and seats. There will be no more grinding noise from the transmission of your Bennche UTV.
2. Overheating Problems:
Overheating problem is one of the most common issues with Bennche UTV. There are various reasons for overheating in Bennche UTV. Let me summarise the most common reasons below:
- Issue with the fan switch
- Issue with the airlock of the coolant system
- Issue due to blown head gasket
2.1. The Issue with Fan Switch:
Bennche UTV has been facing issues with its fan switch, causing frequent engine overheating.
The manufacturing of the engine is such that the fan will turn ON once the temperature reaches 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Unfortunately, this temperature is sometimes too high for the engine to tolerate, especially in hot climates.
The temperature fan switch is linked to a thermostat and functions like your home’s HVAC system.
This can lead to significant problems for riders, particularly those residing in temperate regions.
How to Fix:
There are various methods for addressing the issue with the fan switch, which can cause frequent overheating of the engine.
One common approach is to bypass the fan switch altogether, utilizing alternative mechanisms to ensure proper fan function.
- One such method involves setting the fan to automatic operation, allowing it to run continuously even when the engine is running. This approach can effectively ensure proper engine cooling, particularly in hotter climates or during strenuous off-road activity.
- Another option is to install a toggle switch on the dashboard, which can be manually activated to trigger the fan when the engine temperature rises beyond a safe threshold. This provides greater control over the fan function, enabling the rider to adjust cooling based on environmental and usage conditions.
You can grab a handlebar switch within 5 bucks in amazon.
Regardless of the approach taken, it is essential to ensure that any modifications to the fan switch mechanism are performed safely and effectively.
High-quality components should be used, and any changes should be thoroughly tested to ensure proper function and reliability.
Both methods help deal with the fan switch issue for controlling the overheating problem.
2.2. The Issue with the Airlock of the Coolant System:
Many Bennche UTV owners have experienced problems with its coolant system. This issue is the “airlock” in the coolant system which can cause the engine to overheat.
The airlock occurs when air enters the coolant system and blocks the flow from the radiator to the water pump. Without the proper flow of coolant, the radiator cannot work correctly, and the engine overheats.
It then becomes difficult for the water pump to pump away air which makes the radiator stay cool, and the engine of Bennche UTV overheats. The engine will not stop overheating until the air is bled out.
How to Fix:
I have compiled the steps below to bleed out the air from the coolant system:
- STEP 1: Park your UTV in a hilly area and raise the front end of your vehicle.
- STEP 2: Make sure that the engine of your vehicle is cold. Remove the bleeder bolt from your radiator.
- STEP 3: Remove the radiator cap and fill it until the coolant comes out from the bleeder.
- STEP 4: Reinstall the bolt of your bleeder and keep filling the radiator until the liquid overflows.
- STEP 5: Repeat the abovementioned steps to overflow the reservoir and start the engine and let it idle for some time. You will observe some bubbles in it.
- STEP 6: Reinstall the cap of the radiator and reservoir cap.
This whole process will remove all the excess air. But if you still observe the bubbles in your radiator fill cap area, it indicates that there is an issue with the blown head gasket.
2.3. Issue Due to Blown Head Gasket:
The blown head gasket is a symptom that indicates that the engine is facing the issue of overheating.
The head gasket is a critical component that seals the gap between the engine block and the cylinder head, allowing for efficient combustion and engine performance.
When the head gasket fails, it can allow coolant to leak into the combustion chamber, causing the engine to overheat and potentially causing damage to the cylinder head and engine block.
Symptoms of a blown head gasket can include loss of engine power, white smoke from the exhaust, and coolant loss.
You can also refer to the video guide below to check for a blown head gasket in your Bennche UTV:
How to Fix:
It is advisable to purchase the head gasket kit to check whether the gasket is blown out or needs some repairing.
Regular cooling system maintenance, including checking coolant levels, inspecting hoses and water pumps, and monitoring engine temperature, can help prevent overheating and potential damage to the head gasket.
3. Clogged Radiator:
A clogged radiator is one of the most common issues that Bennche UTV owners face. The radiator plays a critical role in regulating the engine’s temperature; if it becomes clogged with debris or dirt, the engine can overheat and sustain damage.
How to Fix:
To fix this problem, it is essential first to identify the cause of the clog. Dirt and debris can accumulate in the radiator over time, particularly if the UTV is used in dusty or dirty environments. Additionally, a lack of regular maintenance, such as changing the radiator coolant, can contribute to the problem.
To fix a clogged radiator, it is essential first to drain the coolant and remove any debris or dirt from the radiator fins. This can be done using compressed air or a soft-bristled brush. The radiator may need to be removed and flushed out in severe cases.
Preventative measures can also be taken to avoid a clogged radiator. Regular maintenance, such as changing the coolant and cleaning the radiator fins, can go a long way in preventing this issue.
You can watch the video instructions below to clean your UTV radiator properly.
4. Poor Idling:
At some point in your Bennche UTV, you might experience that the engine sputters and stalls out during idling.
There are three main causes due to which the engine sputters during idling:
- Faulty fuel injector
- Bad fuel pump
4.1. Faulty Fuel Injector:
The injection system is accountable for delivering the right amount of fuel to the engine. Any fault in the system can cause a reduction in power, engine misfires, and poor fuel economy. In some cases, it may even damage the engine.
How to Fix:
Here are the steps to diagnose and fix a faulty fuel injector:
- STEP 1: Remove the seat covers to expose the vehicle’s throttle body. This step allows access to the fuel injector, typically located on the top of the throttle body.
- STEP 2: Locate the fuel injector and gently pull it from the throttle body. Be careful not to damage any wires or connectors attached to the injector.
- STEP 3: With the fuel injector removed, turn on the key switch and inspect the injector’s spray pattern. The injector should spray a fine mist of fuel into the throttle body. The spray pattern will be consistent even if the injector is in good condition.
- STEP 4: If the fuel injector is in bad condition, it will spray fuel streams instead of a fine mist. This indicates that the injector is clogged, damaged, or malfunctioning and needs to be replaced.
- STEP 5: To replace the fuel injector, first purchase a replacement injector that matches the specifications of the original injector. Then, carefully install the new injector into the throttle body and ensure all wires and connectors are correctly connected.
- STEP 6: Finally, test the engine to ensure the new fuel injector works correctly. This may involve running the engine for a few minutes and observing the fuel spray pattern to ensure consistency and evenness.
You can buy a compatible fuel injector for your Benchhe here.
4.2. Bad Fuel Pump:
To diagnose and fix a bad fuel pump, the following steps can be taken:
- STEP 1: Begin by removing the hose that connects the fuel pump to the fuel rail.
- STEP 2: Turn on the key switch and check if fuel sprays from the hose. If fuel does not spray or only comes out in a weak stream, the pump is not functioning correctly.
5. Engine Starting Issues:
There are various reasons why your Bennche UTV shows issues in starting the engine. I list down the most commmon reasons here:
- Issue with valves
- Fault in spark plugs
- Issue with battery
- Presence of old fuel in the vehicle
5.1. The Issue with Valves:
While these issues are not severe and can be fixed, it’s essential to be aware of them to prevent further damage to your vehicle.
Intake and exhaust valves are a standard part of the Bennche UTV, allowing air and fuel to enter and exit your engine. When these valves are not functioning correctly, it can cause starting issues and other engine problems.
A common problem with the valves in the Bennche UTV is when they are either too tight or too loose. This can affect the valve clearance, leading to issues with the engine not starting correctly.
This can be caused by several things, including over-tightening the valves, improper installation, poor maintenance, or even age.
How to Fix:
The first step in fixing issues with the valves is to locate them. In the case of the Bennche UTV, the valve clearances can be found under the vehicle’s fender near the driver’s side.
However, if you are unsure about the valve’s location, it is always best to consult the user’s manual to avoid any mistakes.
Once you have located the valves, the next step is to check that they are at their proper clearance position. If the valves are not correctly positioned, specific adjustments must be made to clear this issue.
However, adjusting valve clearances is not a task for the untrained. It requires a good understanding of the engine mechanics and the necessary tools and equipment.
The correct valve clearance is critical to ensure that the engine functions efficiently. The clearance can change with use, causing engine noise or improper fuel-air supply. The valve clearance must be adjusted regularly, ideally every six months, to prevent this.
5.2. Fault in Spark Plugs:
Spark plugs are essential components of your Bennche UTV engine. They are responsible for creating the spark that ignites the fuel and air mixture in the combustion chamber, creating the power needed to operate your vehicle.
Unfortunately, spark plugs can fail or begin to wear out over time, leading to decreased performance, increased fuel consumption, and even engine stalling.
How to Fix:
The first step in fixing faulty spark plugs is to check the coating on the spark plugs. The spark plugs should not be coated with substances like oil, fuel, or coolants, as these can cause issues with the ignition system. Additionally, the color of the spark plug should be inspected, as grey or black indicates a foul spark plug.
- STEP 1: Remove the seat from the UTV.
- STEP 2: Next, pull the spark plug cap.
- STEP 3: Use the spark plug wrench to disconnect the spark plug.
- STEP 4: Replace the spark plug with a new one – the manufacturer recommends using DR8EA (NGK) spark plugs.
Using unleaded fuel in the Bennche UTV can also help to extend the life of the spark plugs and reduce maintenance costs. Unleaded fuel burns cleaner, reducing the amount of buildup on the spark plugs and preventing damage to the ignition system.
5.3. The Issue with the Battery:
- One of the main problems with the battery on a Bennche UTV is the age of the battery. The batteries are designed to last for a specific amount of time, and if the battery is older, it may not be able to provide the power needed to start the vehicle.
- Another problem that can occur with the battery of a Bennche UTV is corrosion. Corrosion can occur if the battery is exposed to moisture or is not stored correctly. If the corrosion is taken care of, it can reduce the battery’s life and prevent it from being replaced more frequently.
How to Fix:
- Test the voltage and make sure it is 12+ volts. Fuel injection relies on the battery, which receives 12 volts for working. You can get a good multimeter easily here.
- Make sure that all your battery cables are tightly fixed before you start the engine again.
5.4. Presence of Old Fuel in Vehicle:
Old fuel in a Bennche UTV can create several issues that make it difficult to start the vehicle.
It can lead to a build-up of residue inside the fuel system that can prevent the flow of fuel flow and cause clogging in the fuel filter or fuel lines. This can prevent your UTV from starting or can cause it to start and then immediately stall.
In addition to preventing your UTV from starting, old fuel can lead to other issues, such as decreased fuel efficiency and increased emissions. This can make your UTV more expensive and even affect its performance.
How to Fix:
This problem can be easily fixed by paying attention to the fuel you use and taking the necessary steps to ensure that you always have fresh fuel in your tank.
Be sure to use only unleaded gasoline in your UTV. Leaded gasoline in your Bennche UTV can cause severe damage to the engine and exhaust system components.
Lead can corrode the internal parts of your UTV, including the valves and piston rings. This corrosion can cause a decrease in performance and fuel efficiency, as well as increase the risk of engine failure. It’s essential to avoid the use of leaded gasoline in your Bennche UTV.
6. Issue due to Broken Shafts:
One common issue due to broken shafts is the malfunctioning dynamic power steering shaft. This primary component allows the rider to control the UTV and is vital to the rider’s safety. Unfortunately, this shaft has been known to break under specific scenarios, resulting in an instant loss of control.
The most common cause of this problem is driver negligence or road accidents. When drivers are not paying attention or are distracted, they can easily hit a bump or pothole that can cause the shaft to break. This can be extremely dangerous as the rider will immediately lose their ability to control the vehicle.
In the event of an accident with another vehicle, it is also possible for the shaft to break. This is why riders must always wear helmets and protective gear when operating a UTV.
How to Fix:
When you notice the issue of broken shafts, the first step is to contact UTV’s authorized dealer. Bennche encourages owners to reach out to their dealers as they are equipped to address the problem of steering shafts and other components.
A professional should do this process, so it’s essential to avoid tackling the repair on your own.
7. Squealing Noise Produced by Brakes:
The presence of a squealing noise when applying the brakes can be an indication of underlying issues that require prompt attention. Such problems can arise due to worn-out brakes.
The brakes consist of several components, including brake pads, rotors, and calipers.
Over time, these components can become worn out due to regular use, resulting in the presence of a squealing noise when applying the brakes.
This noise is often produced by the brake pads, designed to produce a squealing noise when worn out, as a warning to the driver.
Furthermore, rust, dust, or debris on the brake pads or rotors can also lead to a squealing noise when applying the brakes.
Rust and debris on the brake pads can cause uneven wear, resulting in a squealing noise. Similarly, rust on the rotors can also cause the brake pads to wear unevenly, producing a squealing noise.
How to Fix:
As mentioned earlier, this noise often indicates worn-out brakes or the presence of rust, dust, or debris on the brake pads or rotors.
- If the noise is due to worn-out brake pads, the solution is to replace them with new ones. Brake pads have a lifespan and must be replaced when worn out to ensure safe vehicle operation.
- If the noise is due to rust, dust, or debris on the brake pads or rotors, the brakes must be cleaned and lubricated to remove buildup.
This can be done by removing the wheels, cleaning the brakes with a specialized brake cleaner, and lubricating the brakes with a high-quality brake lubricant.
Refer to the vidoe guide below to get the generic overview of the brake noise:
8. Smoke Production:
Excessive smoke production from a Bennche UTV is a matter of concern and should not be ignored. The presence of smoke indicates that the vehicle faces some underlying issues that must be addressed promptly.
In technical terms, I’d say such issues can arise due to several factors, including master cylinder malfunctions, gas leakage, burning condensation, and defective piston rings, seals, and valves.
The master cylinder is a vital component of a UTV engine. Any issues with the cylinder can result in gas leakage, leading to smoke production. Gas leakage can occur for several reasons, including worn-out cylinder walls or a damaged cylinder head gasket.
Furthermore, the presence of burning condensation can also result in smoke production. This can happen when the UTV is started after long inactivity or in cold weather conditions.
Defective piston rings, seals, and valves can also cause smoke production in a Bennche UTV. Piston rings are responsible for sealing the combustion chamber, ensuring that no gases escape during combustion.
Any defects in the piston rings can lead to gas leakage and smoke production. Similarly, defective seals and valves can also produce smoke, allowing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.
How to Fix:
- If the smoke production is due to cylinder malfunctions or gas leakage, replacing or repairing the affected component is recommended. This may involve replacing the cylinder head gasket, fixing the cylinder wall, or replacing the cylinder altogether.
- Similarly, if the smoke production is due to burning condensation, you need to allow the engine to warm up before driving using a block heater or a specialized antifreeze coolant.
- If the smoke production is due to defective piston rings, seals, or valves, it is necessary to replace these components.
A qualified mechanic can diagnose the exact problem and replace the affected parts.
Furthermore, if mechanical abrasion of the rings is the cause, the rings will need to be replaced, and the engine will need to be reassembled correctly.
9. Jamming of Throttle Body:
Bennche UTV owners reported issues with a gummed throttle body, which can cause idling problems in the vehicle.
The throttle body regulates air flow into the engine based on the driver’s input via the accelerator pedal.
Over time, carbon and other contaminants can build up in the throttle body, leading to gumming and idling issues.
In addition, the build-up of black soot, dirt, and sludge can cause the throttle body to become sticky and less responsive, leading to problems with idling and acceleration.
How to Fix:
You can clean this deposition from your throttle body and associated parts by removing the throttle body from Bennche UTV and cleaning it using a throttle body cleaner.
- STEP 1: Scrub the gummed soot and carbon deposits using a scrubber or a toothbrush.
- STEP 2: Open the throttle blade and clean its shaft bearing area with the same cleaner. Make sure to clean the buildup from the back and forth part of the throttle blade.
- STEP 3: Connect and hook up all the electrical connections before reinstalling.
- STEP 4: Turn the key on and check if the throttle blade opens or not. Then, reinstall the throttle body in the vehicle.
Now, your UTV can easily start up without creating an issue.
Let me attach a helpful video guide to get a holistic idea of cleaning the throttle body:
10. Problems in Gear Shifting:
As a Bennche UTV owner, you might be facing problems with gear shifting. This is a common issue, especially in the winter. The air ventilation system is the main culprit behind this issue.
When driving in the winter, the engine in a Bennche UTV gets hot. This can cause the components in the gearbox to become sluggish and the clutch to malfunction.
This can lead to difficulty shifting gears and the vehicle losing power while driving.
How to Fix:
The most common Bennche UTV shifting problem is the accelerator. If your accelerator is not responding to your commands, it can cause your gears to shift erratically or not shift at all.
In most cases, this issue can be fixed by tweaking the accelerator. You may need to adjust the accelerator cable or replace some parts, such as the angle sensors.
If the problem persists, the micro-switches on the accelerator are not responding correctly. Fortunately, the actuator and micro-switches are relatively easy to replace.
However, it is best to seek the help of a professional mechanic to ensure the job is done correctly.
Pros and Cons of Bennche UTV:
Bennche UTV is a strong and highly durable vehicle.
Its battery often loses power.
It is an affordable vehicle that holds a strong engine.
The gear shifts of this UTV are challenging to use and stiff.
This vehicle provides exceptional ground clearance to its users.
There is limited bed capacity in this UTV.
Some extra safety features in this UTV make it unique.
This UTV offers an excellent towing capacity.
Benchhe UTV Users’ Feedback/Review:
Here, I’ll provide you with some Benchhe users’ reviews after using the vehicle for some time:
I’ve been using the Benchhe UTV for a few months now, and I must say I’m impressed with its durability and performance. I’ve taken it through some tough terrain, and it’s handled everything without any issues. Overall, I’m very satisfied with my purchase and would highly recommend the Benchhe UTV to anyone looking for a versatile and reliable utility vehicle.
I’ve been using the Benchhe UTV for a while now, and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it’s a great vehicle for handling tough terrain and hauling cargo. However, on the other hand, I’ve had some issues with the brakes and transmission. The brakes tend to squeal when I apply them, and the transmission sometimes feels clunky. I’ve also noticed that the engine can be a bit loud at times. The Benchhe UTV is a decent vehicle, but its reliability could be improved.
Therefore, while some users have reported issues with the vehicle’s reliability, most users have had a positive experience with the Benchhe UTV.
Nevertheless, potential buyers should consider user feedback when making an informed decision about purchasing a Benchhe UTV.
Bennche UTVs can be excellent for off-roading and other recreational activities. However, they can also be prone to specific issues if they are improperly maintained.
While many of these issues can be easily fixed with routine maintenance, some may require specialized repair.
In any case, be sure to read the owner’s manual thoroughly and familiarize yourself with the basics of the vehicle so that you can diagnose and resolve any potential issues with your UTV more quickly and effectively.
8 Most Common Kawasaki Prairie 360 Problems- How to Fix
8 Most Common Kawasaki Teryx 4 Problems- How to Fix
Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT: How to Fix the Most Common Problems
8 Most Common Kawasaki Mule 4010 Problems- Here’s How to Fix
8 Most Common Honda Talon Problems- How to Fix Them
6 Most Common Honda Big Red UTV Problems- How to Fix
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What are the specifications of the engine of Bennche UTV?
The Bennche UTV has the following specifications including:
- It has a displacement of 970cc
- It offers a bore and stroke of 91*61mm
- It has a compression ratio of 10:1
- This vehicle has an electronic fuel injection system in it.
Where are Bennche UTVs manufactured?
Bennche UTVs are manufactured in Coppell, Texas. They are stocked and shipped directly to their dealers from this area. The manufacturers also offer customized options for the components of the vehicle.
Who are the owners of Bennche UTV?
Johnny Tai is the owner of Bennche LLC.
Which is the first side-by-side vehicle?
The first side-by-side vehicle was Lockley Wrangler, introduced in 1970 in the market.
Which UTV vehicle has the best engine in it?
The UTVs having the best engines in them are:
- Can-Am Defender 2023 model
- Can-AM Defender HD-10 2022 model
- Kawasaki Mule Pro-DX Diesel 2022 model
- Honda Pioneer 700 Deluxe 2022 model
This is Surya. I am an experienced off-roader. I have been off-roading for many years across several terrains. I am passionate about 4×4 driving and want to share my knowledge and experience with others.
My goal is to provide you with the most comprehensive and unbiased information about off-roading.
I curated this article through my personal experience and expertise, and I hope it helps you with what you are looking for.