Sometimes, resetting is required for the 4WD vehicles for their proper working and smooth ride. There are various ways of resetting and fixing the 4WD system of Jeep Grand Cherokee. But how can we reset the Jeep Grand Cherokee warning service?
If your Jeep Grand Cherokee is constantly displaying issues with the warning service 4WD system, you can reset the vehicle by following steps:
- Turn the ignition to the ON position but do not start the engine.
- Press and hold the brake pedal and turn the ignition to the start position.
- Release the pedal of the brake, and after that, your warning service 4WD system message gets cleared.
Symptoms Indicating the Jeep Grand Cherokee Warning Service 4WD System:
Some symptoms indicate the problem associated with a 4WD system in the Jeep Grand Cherokee:
- 4WD light on the dashboard stays ON even after the system disengagement.
- The system does not engage when someone tries to use it. It can be frustrating when you try to use the 4WD system to get out of a difficult situation. If you are stuck in such symptoms, you can reset the system by fixing the problem.
- The activated mode of the service 4WD warning indicator.
- Having less traction in snow and mud places
- The 4WD light is always on
- Rattling sound when the 4WD system engages
- High fuel consumption
- Worn-out tires from the front region
- Powerlessness of vehicle
How to Check Whether the Warning System Works Properly:
You can check if the 4WD warning service system works appropriately or not. For this purpose, you can follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Step 1: Get in the vehicle and turn on the position. Avoid starting the engine abruptly.
- Step 2: There is a 4WD system indicator located on the dashboard. You can check this system, which is illuminated when it works correctly. It is not illuminated if there is any problem with the 4WD system. In this case, it is advisable to seek help from a mechanic.
- Step 3: After lifting the vehicle’s hood, you can locate the transfer case. The transfer case is near the engine, with a large round cover.
- Step 4: Search and check the gears in the vehicle and remove the cover. Gears are located in different positions and depend on whether the vehicle is in 4WD mode.
- Step 5: Spin and check the free position of the gears in the vehicle. If they are not moving freely, the system might have a problem.
Here, I’m also mentioning few quick tricks to check the working of the 4WD.
If you want to verify that your 4WD system is properly functioning, you can adopt the following measures:
- Sometimes, the 4WD light is always in an on position, but it doesn’t mean that the light is working. You can easily check if it is working or not.
- You can place your Jeep Grand Cherokee on an asphalt or concrete surface in a parking garage to check.
- Switch on the 4WD system after placing it in a neutral place or park. A clunk will be heard when the 4WD transfer box engages.
- Drive the vehicle 10 feet forward. It will enable you to lock and engage the front tubs.
- Continue driving in the forward position if you want to move the wheels entirely on each side of the vehicle. You can also drive forward if the jeep is resisting.
The position of the 4WD light in the vehicle warning service indicates some malfunctioning with the system. It is preferred to reset the system to fix this issue.
The intermittent on and turning off of the light means a faulty connection. You can fix this problem after resetting. But, if the problem is still noticed again in the Jeep Grand Cherokee, you can seek help from a mechanic.
How To Reset the Jeep Grand Cherokee Service 4WD System:
Find the location on your Jeep Grand Cherokee system where your 4WD selector knob is located. It is mostly located on the console which is near the driver's seat.
Set the parking brake of your vehicle after parking the jeep on the level surface.
Pull and rotate the selector knobs to the desired position. The four positions for the knobs are 4HI means high, 4LO means low, N for neutral and 2WD for two-wheel drive.
Locate the fuse box and open the hood of vehicle.
Place the selector knob back to its place and ensure to properly seat it.
Locate and remove the 20A fuse labeled as 4WD system
Start the jeep after closing the hood.
Drive the jeep for about 50 feet in a straight line.
Stop and replace the 4WD system fuse with an original fuse.
Check the 4WD system indicator light after closing the hood. Make sure that it is off.
Two Ways of Clearing the Platform Service Light on a Jeep Grand Cherokee:
You need to understand that if you want to clear the platform service light for your Jeep Grand Cherokee, you should attempt it after performing the necessary maintenance task. If you attempt it before the maintenance, this will reset the light and make it go.
It could damage the vehicle and can leave you stranded on the side of the road. Each Jeep Grand Cherokee has a different process to reset the perform service indicator.
If you cannot figure out the turning off the warning e-light in the Jeep Grand Cherokee, you can check out the owner’s manual or can seek help from the service experts.
1. Brake Method:
- Step 1: Turn the ignition to the On position without starting the vehicle.
- Step 2: Within the 10-second time frame, press the pedal to the floor.
- Step 3: Turn the ignition to the off position, and you can start the engine after ten seconds.
- Step 4: After all these steps, the perform service indicator is reset now.
2. Button Method:
- Step 1: Turn the ignition to the ON position without starting the vehicle.
- Step 2: The button in your Jeep Grand Cherokee is labeled as ‘Step.’ You can locate the button.
- Step 3: Press this ‘Step’ button to indicate how many miles are left until service. It will get you to a menu screen.
- Step 4: Press, hold and release the ‘Reset’ button.
- Step 5: The service indicator of your Jeep Grand Cherokee is reset now.
DIY for the Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD System to Reset:
Off-road enthusiasts often wonder about resetting their service 4WD systems in Jeep Grand Cherokee. They can reset it in different ways.
- The first way is to disconnect the vehicle’s battery for some time. After disconnecting, it can be reconnected again. This helps reset the vehicle’s electronics, including the system of 4WD.
- Another way of resetting this system is using the scan tool or a similar device for the Jeep. It allows the person to get access to the system settings, and they can reset it manually.
If the Jeep scan tool is unavailable, you can still reset it. First, disconnect the battery for some minutes, and then try to reconnect it. This reconnecting will reset the vehicle's electronics, including the 4WD system.
It is also advisable to check the vehicle with the mechanic after resetting the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
DIY for Jeep Grand Cherokee Service 4WD System Repair:
Resetting the 4WD Service Required Message
Resetting the 4WD Error Message
Do not start the car but turn on the ignition of your car.
If you want to reset the 4WD error message, lift the hood of vehicle.
Keep your feet and press on the accelerator thrice.
Locate the nut using a wrench. It is connected to the negative terminal.
Turn off the ignition after ten seconds.
Remove the nut by resetting the computer.
This step will resolve the error message.
Resetting the 4WD Service Required Message:
In method one, the foremost thing is to locating the position of required message of 4WD service.
In method two, the first step is of opening the region of hood of the jeep or vehicle.
Next comes the process of turning the ignition on.
Next step is of locating the fuse box of the required 4WD system. You can consult owner's manual if a person is not sure about the required location. It is sometimes located in a different spot on the vehicle.
Afterwards, it is required to push the pedal brake of vehicle or jeep and hold it.
Next comes the process of removing fuse from the 4WD system.
Keep on turning the ignition to on position.
It is then advisable to remove the fuse and replace it with a new piece. Close the region of hood.
At the end, release the pedal brake that was holded by you.
You can at last, start the vehicle and check if it works properly by driving for some minutes.
Check out the fuse box and turn it off. The fuse of 4WD system blows down till this process.
Resetting the Error Message for 4WD:
You can follow these steps to reset the error message in the 4WD system of the Jeep Grand Cherokee:
Step 1: Check the The Fuse of Vehicle:
If you want to reset the error message, check the fuse of the associated vehicle or jeep. It is primarily seen in the vehicle’s engine compartment near the passenger side.
If a blown fuse is detected, it can be replaced with a new fuse with the same amperage.
Step 2: Check the Transfer Case:
There can be a problem with the transfer case in case if the fuse is not blown out. It is located near the axle of the vehicle or jeep. If you want to access the transfer case, there arises a new of removing the skid plates.
After accessing the transfer case, you can also check the fluid level and vehicle’s condition. The fluid level should be in between the two marks. If the fluid level is low or dirty, you can top it off, and a person can change it according to requirements.
Why Are Jeep ABS and Traction Control Lights On? (With Fix)
Can All Jeeps Go Off-Road? All You Need to Know
Why Does My Jeep Wrangler Smell Like Antifreeze?
Why Do Jeep Wranglers Have Two Batteries? Know in Details
Why Does My Jeep Wrangler Keep Beeping? All You Need to Know
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Why does the Jeep Cherokee keep says the perform service?
The perform service indicator lets the person know that jeep has reached its scheduled mileage needed for regular maintenance.
However, it means that the person has to take it to the professional level to meet the needs of specific fluids swapped, rotated tires, and something similar.
What does it mean when the jeep says service 4-wheel drive?
When the jeep says service 4-wheel drive and is displayed, it means the jeep will be 2wd and is unable to use 4WD.
This issue might be due to a software error or a bad or damaged sensor, among these things.
How can a person reset the oil life on the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee?
A person can easily reset the oil life on the Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014 by turning on the key and making the engine off. After that, press the pedal about 3 times to floor it within ten seconds and then turn the key off.
How can a person reset the oil change light on 2012 Jeep Cherokee?
A person can easily reset the oil change light by fully depressing the accelerator pedal slowly three times within ten seconds.
Turn off the ignition and start the engine to verify the indicator that it has been reset or not.
Is it okay to drive with the service 4WD light on situation?
When the 4WD light appears, it allows a person to see an issue with the system of 4WD, and it should be handled with care. Another reason for the occurrence of this light is due to the incomplete shifts in the gear.
How can a person soft reset the Jeep Grand Cherokee?
A person can soft reset the Jeep Grand Cherokee by the following methods:
- Put the vehicle in the park.
- Make sure that it is on the Run mode.
- Press and hold the volume and turner knob buttons.
- Hold down the knob button for roughly 10-20 seconds.
Why does the Jeep says SVC 4WD?
If the Jeep says so, the condition is inclined. Another condition arises when the rear axle’s rotational speed differs from the front axle. It could happen when the person goes over a speed bump. Whenever the 4WD is activated, it sounds like the SVC 4WD message comes along.
How can a person turn off the 4WD mode low on Jeep Grand Cherokee?
If a person wants to move from 4WD low to 4WD hi, they can shift into neutral and push the 4WD low button.
In this case, the vehicle must be running, and the speed should be between 0 and 3 mph. The 4WD low light will turn off after this shifting.
How can a person change the Jeep Wrangler from 4H t 2H?
If the jeep is in automatic mode, the driver can shift the lever from 2HI to 4HI by maintaining the speed.
If the jeep is in manual mode, the person can take the foot off the gas, depress the clutch, and shift the lever into the 4HI.