As a proud Jeep owner, you know that a smooth and controlled ride is crucial, whether you’re navigating city streets or tackling challenging off-road trails. Upgrading your Jeep’s shocks can make a world of difference, enhancing handling, stability, and overall performance.
The seven best shocks for Jeep Wrangler include:
- Rancho Gas Shock RS5000X
- Front Rear Shock Kit by TeraFlex
- Shock absorber by Bilstein
- Rear shock absorber by Rough Country
- Front and rear shock absorbers by Detroit axle
- Rear pair of shocks by Fox
- Shock absorber by Skyjacker MAX
In this article, I’ll explore these 7 best shocks available for your Jeep Wrangler, highlighting their unique features and benefits. Whether you’re a daily driver or an avid off-road enthusiast, I’ve got you covered with valuable insights to help you choose the perfect shocks for your Jeep. Let’s dive in and elevate your driving experience to new heights!
Kinds of Shocks Used in Jeep Wrnagler:
When upgrading the shocks on a Jeep Wrangler, several different types of shocks are available, each with its own characteristics and performance benefits.
Choosing the right type of shock for your Jeep Wrangler depends on your driving style, budget, and the level of off-road capability you desire.
Let me explore the various kinds of shocks that can be used in a Jeep Wrangler:
Monotube shocks are a popular choice for off-road enthusiasts and daily drivers alike. They feature a single-tube design with an internal piston and high-pressure gas charge. This design allows for better heat dissipation and more consistent damping performance.
Monotube shocks provide improved handling, stability, and responsiveness during both on-road and off-road driving. They are generally more durable and can effectively handle off-road trails' stresses.
As the name suggests, Twin-tube shocks consist of two tubes or chambers. One tube is the working cylinder, while the other acts as a reservoir for the hydraulic fluid or gas.
Twin-tube shocks are typically more budget-friendly and offer decent performance for daily driving. However, they may not handle extreme off-road conditions as well as monotube or other high-end shocks.
These shocks suit Jeep owners who mainly use their vehicles for regular commuting and occasional light off-roading.
You can refer to the video guide below to understand the key difference points between monotube and twin-tube shocks:
Gas-charged shocks, whether monotube or twin-tube, have nitrogen gas injected into the shock to reduce the aeration and foaming of the hydraulic fluid.
This design prevents the shock from fading and ensures consistent damping performance, even under demanding conditions. Gas-charged shocks are generally more reliable and provide a smoother ride with better handling than traditional hydraulic shocks.
Remote Reservoir Shocks:
Remote reservoir shocks are designed for extreme off-road enthusiasts encountering challenging terrains requiring superior performance. These shocks have another reservoir connected to the central shock system through a high-pressure hose.
The additional fluid capacity in the remote reservoir allows for better heat dissipation, reducing the chances of shock fading during intense off-road use.
Remote reservoir shocks are ideal for overlanding, rock crawling, and high-speed off-road driving.
Coilover shocks combine the shock absorber and coil spring into a single unit. This design allows for precise suspension tuning and offers exceptional performance for off-road racing and custom applications.
Coilovers provide adjustable ride height and damping, making them a preferred choice for enthusiasts who want to fine-tune their Jeep's suspension to match specific driving conditions.
You can check the video instruction below to find out more:
A good quality twin-tube or monotube gas-charged shock might be suitable if you mainly use your Jeep for daily commuting and occasional light off-roading.
On the other hand, if you’re an avid off-roader seeking top-notch performance and durability, remote reservoir or coilover shocks could be the better options. Consider your specific needs and consult with experts or fellow Jeep owners for recommendations before deciding.
Top 7 Shocks for Jeep:
Here I will discuss the best Jeep Wrangler shock absorbers with their features, pros, and cons in detail:
1. Rancho Gas Shock RS5000X:
Rancho gas shock is considered an appropriate option for the Jeep Wrangler. It is still recommended to replace this shock with a new one after traveling 60-80 thousand miles to avoid inconvenience. Rancho is the best option as compared to others due to its unique specs and features.
- Part Numbers RS55326 and RS55328
- Set of 4 Shocks for vehicles at factory height or w/0-2" front lift and w/0-2" rear lift
- Fits 4WD vehicles
- All necessary washers, bushings, and nuts included. Factory shock mounting bolts are reused for installation.
- Rancho's limited lifetime warranty protects against defects and premature failure. Rancho's 90 day ride guarantee covers RS5000X, RS7000MT, and RS9000XL shocks.
There is a rebound valving system in this shock which is better for enhancing the performance of the Jeep on the off-roading track. This shock set would be best for driving the vehicle comfortably on off-roading terrains and reducing nose-diving while applying the brakes.
- One notable feature of this shock is that it helps increase fluid capacity and enhance control over the vehicle. This will improve the overall performance of the Jeep at various off-roading conditions.
- This shock will allow the fluid to flow early when the vehicle hits a pothole or is traveling on a road obstacle. This will also reduce the initial impact to minimize the rough riding experience.\
There is a rebound valving system in this shock which helps improve the performance of the Jeep.
It becomes a challenge to install the shock in the front passenger.
This shock has a large body which helps enhance the control of the vehicle.
There is a rebound valving system in this shock which helps improve the performance of the Jeep.
This shock has a large body which helps enhance the control of the vehicle.
This shock is easy to install and does not require jacking.
This shock can be fitted in other 4WD vehicles too.
Check the following video illustration to know more:
2. Front Rear Shock Kit by TeraFlex:
The inadequacy of the shocks can be observed when the Jeep Wrangler starts to offer a bounce on the potholes and bumps or rough off-roading terrains.
- 4 shocks for a 2.5" lift for a JK Wrangler.
- Premium-quality rubber bushings help to refine ride quality, Jeep specific mounting ends are vulcanized to the bushing to provide a hassle free installation
- All TeraFlex 9550 VSS shocks are covered by a limited lifetime warranty.
- Fits all years of Wrangler JK's
It is recommended to replace the shocks at that moment, which will bring comfort, ease, and smoothness to the ride again. If you want to replace the shocks in your Jeep, TeraFlex is worth considering! But why?
This shock has a pro feature that makes it distinguishable from others. It has a triple-chromed rod, which offers the smooth working of the vehicle even in the presence of an oil block. This shock ensures a long life span after installation in the vehicle and is highly durable.
- The velocity valving of TeraFlex is programmed perfectly according to its suspension system. If your Jeep Wrangler owns the suspension system of TeraFlex, this shock is the best fit for it and will result in comfortable riding after its installation.
- The internal fluids of the vehicle are kept sealed due to this process. There is a travel-stop limiter in it, too, which reduces the impact of the over-compression given by the vehicle.
- This product of shock has a twin-tube design which helps protect the shock from any damage during navigation. There is an e-dipped finish in it which can resist the challenging conditions of the road.
This shock is easy to install and can be installed with easy instructions.
This shock has missing hardware in it.
This shock can be well-fitted with a suspension system.
This shock holds a rubber of premium quality which helps in assisting the quality of the ride.
There is an e-dipped finish of black color on this shock which can withstand the different conditions of the road.
3. Shock Absorber by Bilstein:
Shock absorbers manufactured by Bilstein help control the movement of the Jeep Wrangler and provide a comfortable ride to the owners. If you are experiencing a bouncy ride with body lean during braking, this is the signal for replacing the shock absorbers.
The shock absorbers by Bilstein are an excellent option for providing a firm ride on the roads. These shock absorbers are best for vehicles with large wheels and tires and upgrade the ride after installation.
- These shock absorbers have a mono-tube design which provides top-notch performance to the owners.
- The velocity-sensitive piston in this shock absorber helps adapt to almost all kinds of off-roading conditions and improves the riding quality of the Jeep Wrangler.
- This shock absorber is one of the most demanding and is an excellent upgrade.
This shock offers excellent efficiency on rough terrains and roads.
This shock sometimes works poorly for various types of vehicles.
This shock is excellent for working on the on and off-roading driving terrains.
This shock offers a consistent performance for the vehicle.
This shock is easy to install in the vehicle.
This shock can improve the vehicle's handling and offers excellent durability in nature.
4. Rough Country Rear Shock Absorber:
Different signs are observed by the owners of the Jeep Wrangler, which indicate the problem with shock absorbers. One of the common signs is the lack of hydraulic fuel in the vehicle.
- Give your Wrangler TJ the Perfect Blend of Performance, Protection, and Style from Rough Country.
- Unmatched Ground Clearance | Premium N3 Shock Absorbers the Best in Performance for On and Off Road Use.
- Maintains Smooth, Factory-Like Ride | Levels the Front with the Rear.
- Coil springs are progressive rate for enhanced ride quality.
- Backed by Rough Country's Limited Lifetime Replacement Warranty.
When the fluid persists in leaking from the Jeep Wrangler, this is a sign of the replacement of the shock absorber.For this purpose, you can choose rear shock absorbers manufactured by the Rough Country.
This shock absorber offers a smooth ride to the rider on different terrains, including highways and off-roading tracks. It has a high-nitrogen charged valve, which helps adjust the smooth ride on different off-roading conditions.
- These shock absorbers are solid and can withstand the rough conditions of off-roading terrains with their highly durable feature and can last longer than usual.
- These shock absorbers consist of a spring-loaded piston rod of 18mm and a shock body of 54mm, which offers high road resistance and a longer life span.
- There are mono-tube shocks in it which are designed according to the adjustment of Jeep Wrangler and have rubber bushings in them with silver metallic paint that offers a unique appearance.
There is a piston rod seal that is spring-loaded in this shock. It offers excellent strength and durability to this shock.
This shock is sold in the category of pairs.
This shock has variable valving, offering incredible action on the smooth and off-roading riding quality.
This shock is painted in metallic silver, which can work best for the vehicle.
It has a hardened piston of chrome color that can protect against shocks and bumps and offers longevity.
This shock is easy to install and has bushings in it.
5. Front And Rear Shock Absorbers by Detroit Axle:
It is often said that when your vehicle has reached the maximum capacity of 50,000 miles of coverage, a person must closely inspect the internal components of the vehicle, including the suspension and shocks.
- Replacement for 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler
- Kit Includes: 2 Front Shock Absorbers + 2x Rear Shock Absorbers + 2x Front Sway Bar Links +2x Rear Sway Bar Links
- Detroit Axle Suspension components are ready to meet the rigorous demands of today’s foreign and domestic passenger cars, trucks and SUVs
- Undergo impact, wear, and fatigue testing to help ensure quality and durability
- 10-Year Warranty
This will indicate the working condition of shock absorbers which is an essential component in the vehicle and can be replaced with a new one before the occurrence of a significant issue.
If you want to replace the old and worn-out shock with a new one, Front and rear shock absorbers manufactured by Detroit Axle are an excellent choice that offers durability and quality.
- This shock absorber has sway bar links. It is a package that provides all comfort and smoothness on the terrain. This package has the components like Front and rear shock absorbers and Front and rear sway bar links.
- These shock absorbers are high in quality and can fulfill the needs of all kinds of vehicles, including trucks, SUVs, and ATVs.
- After their installation, you will experience a few jolts with sharp turns, even on bumpy roads. You can use the components like nuts and bolts from the old replaced shock during installation, as this package does not offer nuts and bolts.
This shock can fit easily on the Jeep Wrangler.
This shock has some missing parts.
This shock has an excellent build and can withstand the challenges of rugged off-roading terrains.
This shock provides excellent quality and is highly durable.
This shock is easy to install.
This shock has two in-built sway bars.
6. Rear Pair of Shocks by Fox:
The shock absorber of the Jeep Wrangler does not have any expiration date, but still, after a specific time span, they stop working well. This is an indication of their replacement with a new shock absorber.
- Part Number 980-24-888
- Rear pair of 2 shocks for vehicles w/1.5-3.5" rear lift
- Fits 2WD & 4WD vehicles
- Shock boots & Roost Shields sold separately. All necessary washers, bushings, reservoir clamps, and nuts included. Factory shock mounting bolts are reused for installation. Mounting plates sold separately.
- Fox's limited one (1) year warranty protects against defects and premature failure.
Different choices are available in the market for replacing the shocks with a new one, but rear shocks manufactured by Fox are a great option regarding the Jeep Wrangler.
This product is equipped with the latest technology and is available in pairs that can transform the vehicle's performance. This shock absorber's outstanding feature is its dampening control, which offers a smooth and comfortable ride on off-roading terrain. It also enhances the capability of better handling on off-roading terrains.
- This shock absorber is easy to install and has a shock boost and roost shields. Other than this, other components like bushings, washers, clamps, and nuts are also included in it, which makes the installation process much easier.
- These shocks have an aluminum body which helps increase the cooling capacity and prevents the shocks from rusting and corrosion.
- There is an ISP (Internal floating station) feature that works to separate the oil from the gas chamber and prevents the aeration of oil for maximum performance.
This shock can fit easily in 2WD and 4WD vehicles.
This shock is available in pairs.
This shock is built on shock technology, which is the latest and offers maximum performance.
This shock is built up of an aluminum body, helps increase the vehicle's cooling capacity, and provides some rust-free properties in nature.
This shock can improve the ride quality and offers better handling in nature.
This shock is also helpful in riding the vehicle on the off-roading handles, which are challenging.
7. Skyjacker MAX Shock Absorber:
If you are looking for a new shock absorber that can offer you excellent specs and is easy to install, then the shock absorber by Skyjacker MAX is one of the best options. This shock absorber responds excellently on different off-roading terrains and trails.
This shock absorber has internal components like velocity-sensitive valves, which offer a controlling resistance level to the vehicle. This new spec offers better handling options and improved effort and stability to the rider.
- The innovative features of this shock make it the best option among its competitors in the market and ensure a long lifespan for its working and durability.
- There is some challenging installation linked with this shock due to rear top bushings, but due to its high-quality building material, the installation process is easy and requires some common sense to tackle it.
- This shock absorber offers a comfortable ride and has been known to improve the handling of the owners of Jeep Wrangler.
- This shock absorber is also helpful in keeping the tires in contact with the terrain and offers proper control on the road.
This shock is helpful to offer the best performance on the off-roading and the on-surface terrains too.
This shock has subpar paint on it.
This shock has technical innovations and helps offer increased stability and durability.
This shock offers controlled resistance which helps handle the improving stability of the vehicle.
This shock has the best ability to keep the tires in proper working condition on the terrain.
These shocks are easy to install.
Recommendations for Purchasing the Shock for Jeep Wrangler:
Here I will discuss some of the main factors which you should look in the shocks before purchasing them:
Right Fit for the Wrangler:
The primary factor you should keep in mind before purchasing the shock for your Jeep Wrangler is to check whether it is a perfect fit for a vehicle or not. It has been observed that all kinds of shocks are not the right fit for all models of Wrangler and other vehicles.
You need to check whether the specific shock is a right fit for their vehicle. You should have information about the vehicle, including its year of manufacturing, type of model, and other information. The shock company can check the suitable shock for your vehicle with this information.
Right Type for the Wrangler:
The right type of shock depends on the driving style of the person.
The twin-tube shock is a perfect match for your vehicle if you are in the habit of driving it daily or using it for light off-roading. This shock will offer you an excellent and smooth ride during driving.
But, if you are fond of doing extensive off-roading, this shock is unsuitable for your vehicle. For this purpose, a mono-tube shock perfectly fits your Jeep Wrangler. This shock absorber is a nitrogen-charged shock that offers cooling and efficiency to the vehicle and makes it able to run harder on off-roading terrain.
Easy to Install:
It is recommended to look for the shock, which is easy to install in the Jeep. The shock absorbers available in the market have different kinds of installation processes, but a person should prefer the one that is easy to install.
Get the shock absorber which does not require extra steps and time for installation. Check their associated hardware, like nuts, bolts, and bushings, for easy installation.
Upgrading the shocks on your Jeep Wrangler can significantly enhance your driving experience, both on and off-road. With various shock types available, each offering distinct advantages, you can tailor your Jeep’s suspension to suit your driving style and preferences.
Before deciding, consider your driving needs, budget, and the level of off-road capability you desire. A well-chosen set of shocks will transform your Jeep Wrangler into a more capable and comfortable ride, elevating your overall driving enjoyment.
Why Is Brake Light Flashing on Jeep Wrangler- How to Fix
10 Common Jeep Liberty Diesel Engine Problems- How to Fix
8 Reasons Jeep Radio Not Working- How to Fix
How to Upgrade Performance on 3.8 Jeep JK? Recommended Gears
Top 8 Reasons Your Jeep is Making Ticking Noise- How to Fix
Why is Jeep Overheating? Easy Fixes You Need to Know
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What are the best shocks recommended for the Jeep Wrangler?
Some of the best shocks recommended for the Jeep Wrangler are:
- Stock replacement shocks by KYB
- Twin-tube shocks by Rubicon Express
- Jspec shock by JL JKS
- N3 Shocks by Rough Country
- Shocks for Jeep Wrangler by Rancho
- Mono-tube shocks by Rubicon Express
What are some of the best shocks recommended for daily drivers?
The best shocks recommended for SUB and truck vehicles’ daily drivers are those manufactured by Bilstein 5100. They offer excellent driving mode and off-roading capability.
Which shocks are known to offer a smooth ride to their drivers?
The smoothest rides for the Jeeps are offered by shocks manufactured by Bilstein in the B4 series, KYB in the excel-G series, and Monroe with the OE spectrum feature.
How can a person make their ride smooth in a Jeep Wrangler?
A person can make their ride smooth in a Jeep Wrangler by following these tips:
- Changing the springs with those with a high firmness rate is recommended.
- It is recommended to replace the old shock dampeners.
- It is better to change the low-profile tires of the Jeep Wrangler.
- It is better to keep a check on the angles of the wheels and add some weight to the vehicle.
Do the soft shocks offer better work?
Yes, soft shocks are known to allow the springs to move at a faster pace. Stiff shocks can slow the movement of springs and cause the contact patch of the tire to bounce on the surface of roads. Softer shocks are recommended to avoid this situation.
How long can the 4-by-4 shocks last working?
The 4-by-4 shocks can last for about 10 years if they are used perfectly in a smooth way and are well-maintained. But due to various potholes and driving on dirt roads, it is said that shocks often last for around 5 years.
Do the poor shocks affect the riding quality?
The wear and tear of shocks and struts can affect the riding control components. It can lead to a detrimental effect on the vehicle and can affect its stability.
This is Surya. I am an experienced off-roader. I have been off-roading for many years across several terrains. I am passionate about 4×4 driving and want to share my knowledge and experience with others.
My goal is to provide you with the most comprehensive and unbiased information about off-roading.
I curated this article through my personal experience and expertise, and I hope it helps you with what you are looking for.