Attention, fellow Hisun UTV enthusiasts! The open trail beckons, but we know that every exhilarating ride comes with its share of twists and turns, especially when you’re behind the wheel of a Hisun UTV.
The most common problems with the Hisun UTVs include:
- Issues with overheating
- Issues with the engine start-up
- Idling Issue
- Problems with the spark plugs
- Engine issues
- Issues with airflow
- Issues with transmission
- The failure of the carburetor
- Problems with the clutch
- Issues with warranty
In this guide, I’ll dive into the heart of the matter, unveiling solutions to the ten most common Hisun UTV problems that riders often encounter.
Basic Features of Hisun UTV (Sector 750):
4-Stroke Single Cylinder OHC
Front / Rear Brakes
4-Wheel Hydraulic Disc
27 x 9-12
27 x 11-12
Automatic CVT L/H/N/R
2WD / 4WD
Hydraulic W/ Nitrogen Assist
Electronic Fuel Injection
Various problems associated with the Hisun UTV can create hindrances for the rider during off-roading. Therefore, getting some general information about these problems is better to resolve them on a first-priority basis.
Let’s get started with the problems and their solution in detail:
1. Issues with Overheating of the Engine:
The most common problem with Hisun UTVs is their tendency to overheat. This can lead to various difficulties, from getting stuck on a trail to more serious engine issues. The problem tends to be more common in earlier models, such as the 2011 and 2012 versions.
There are a few primary causes of overheating in Hisun UTVs. One is an overloaded engine, where the vehicle carries too much weight to handle. Another is a low coolant level. A leak in the radiator, hose or other parts of the cooling system can cause this.
Additionally, the motor-driven fan can stop working due to a blown-out fuse or electricity issues.
A significant issue with the Hisun UTVs is that the temperature sensor on the radiator is factory-set only to trigger the fan switch at temperatures of around 220 degrees. This means that the engine can overheat even before it is noticed.
Finally, dirty radiator and grille screens can also be a contributing factor. Dirt and debris can block the airflow and cause the engine to overheat, even if the sensor functions correctly.
How to Fix:
- To solve the engine overheating problem of Hisun Sector 750, you can install dual fans. This can provide additional cooling and help prevent the engine from overheating.
- You should also check if the fuel is enough for driving and not leave the engine in the sunlight. Too much heat and sunlight can also make the engine hot. So, park your Hisun UTV under a shade to prevent the engine from overheating.
- In case of dirty radiator and grille screens, clean all trash or debris, modify the hood compartment, and move the radiator front cooler slightly. This will allow air to flow more freely and provide proper cooling.
- To combat the temperature sensor issue, some have installed a toggle switch on their dash, which runs between the temperature sensor wires and essentially bypasses it, enabling them to turn on the fan as they please with a flip of this toggle switch.
- Advantages: this engine cooling fan assembly was precision-engineered to match the fit and performance of the stock radiator fan assembly on specific vehicles Ideal replacement
- High Compatible with all HISUN EFI AND CARB 500cc and 700cc UTVs. Bennche, Excalibur, Massimo, Qlink, Supermach, CUB CADET and MANY MORE
- OEM Part Number: Reference 19205-115-0000,19230-055-0000,367800003
- Longer life: High quality metal-excellent compression resistance, more solid, fine grinding, New technology, Not easy to damage, 100% Brand New
- Excellent After-Sale Service: If you have any issues with the product, please contact by amazon for troubleshooting help, replacement,or refund. Our aim is to make you satisfy the product and the service we provide.
2. Issues with the Engine Start-Up:
The engine startup is one of the most common issues with the Hisun UTV. This issue can be caused by several things, such as an empty fuel tank, clogged fuel filters, worn-out or torn wires, loose connections, or a damaged engine. If you’re experiencing an engine startup issue, it’s important to troubleshoot the problem and find the source.
Another common cause of engine startup issues is a weak, broken, or damaged battery. This can prevent the engine from quickly turning over like it’s supposed to.
People often experience startup issues with their Hisun UTV during wintertime. That’s because, in winter, oil viscosity increases significantly, but the engine revolution becomes slower. This can lead to the engine not starting up properly.
How to Fix:
- First, if you are low on fuel, check the entire fuel system, including the fuel tank, filter, electric fuel pump, and injector. If any of these components are malfunctioning or clogged, they can prevent fuel from reaching the engine. You may need to replace or clean these components as required.
- If the fuel system is in order and the engine still won’t start, you may need to look further, check the ECU motor scan, and replace any worn-out or damaged parts. You may also need to check the wiring and replace any damaged wires.
- Another issue that can cause engine start-up problems is a clogged air filter. If your air filter is clogged with debris, simply cleaning it should solve the problem.
- Finally, if none of these fixes solve the issue, you may need to replace or repair the engine. This can be expensive and time-consuming, so taking your Hisun UTV to a qualified mechanic is essential for a proper diagnosis.
3. Hisun UTV Idling Issue:
When your engine stalls out or sputters while idle, it’s usually a sign that your throttle body is gummed up. Over time, dirt, soot, and grime can accumulate in the throttle body, causing it to become clogged and negatively affecting its performance. This can lead to decreased power, rough idling, and stalling.
How to Fix:
To clean the throttle body, follow the steps below:
- STEP 1: You must first remove it from your UTV. This can generally be done by disconnecting the electrical connections and then unscrewing the bolts that hold the throttle body in place.
- STEP 2: Once the throttle body is removed, you can spray it with a WD-40 Carb/Throttle Body Cleaner. This will help to loosen any grime or dirt that may be present.
- STEP 3: After you have sprayed it down, use a toothbrush or scrub pad to give it a good scrubbing.
You must also ensure that the throttle blade is appropriately opening and closing. To do this, hook up the electrical connections and turn the key to the “ON” position.
If everything is working correctly, the throttle blade should open slightly. If it does not, you will need to look closely and ensure that all the parts function perfectly.
4. Problems with the Spark Plugs:
The spark plug is responsible for igniting the fuel/air mixture in the engine, helping the combustion process. If the spark plug is not replaced when needed, it will become worn out and cause misfires, engine stalling, and reduced fuel efficiency.
The spark plug should be replaced every 8,000 or 10,000 miles or sooner if you experience any issues. If you use your Hisun UTV for many shorter trips, such as a drive to the mailbox and back, you may need to replace your spark plugs more often.
It is also essential to ensure that the spark plugs used are correct for your Hisun UTV. If the wrong spark plug is used, it can cause significant issues with the engine and its performance, so always make sure to use the exact model and type of spark plug recommended by the manufacturer.
How to Fix:
If you suspect your spark plug is causing any issues, the first step is to check it and ensure it’s not coated with anything that could be causing problems.
Next, you can inspect the plug’s color to ensure it hasn’t turned gray or black, indicating fouling. If it looks like the spark plug is fouled, it’s best to replace it immediately.
It's also essential to keep your spark plugs clean if you live in an area prone to dust or rain. This is because carbon can build up on the spark plug, making it more difficult for the spark to ignite the fuel and air mixture.
Cleaning your spark plugs regularly can help prevent this issue and ensure your engine operates at its best.
5. Hisun UTV Engine Issues:
One common issue reported by Hisun UTV users is problems with the engine. However, there are solutions available to address these engine issues.
Some of them are discussed below:
How to Fix:
Issue with noise
Issues with power performance
Issues with the coolant boil
Problems with starting the engine
6. Issues with Airfow:
The problems with the airflow system are a common issue associated with the Hisun UTV. There are various components of the airflow system.
The blower on the motor is responsible for drawing the air through a filter that cools the engine and pushes the air through the rear. Air is cooled with a radiator-like device.
If air does not flow out properly through the engine, it can cause problems for Hisun UTV.
How to Fix:
A clogged filter is one of the most common problems with the airflow system. The filter traps dirt, dust, and other particles from entering the engine. Over time, the filter can become blocked with debris, preventing air from passing through and causing the engine to overheat.
Another common problem with the airflow system is blocked pathways. Various issues, including a dirty air filter, faulty valves, or a damaged radiator, can cause this.
If a pathway is blocked, it can cause the air to be trapped inside the engine, leading to overheating and possible engine failure. Therefore, all pathways should be thoroughly checked for blockages or damage to fix this issue.
7. Issues with Transmission (Gear Shift):
One of the most common problems experienced by owners of Hisun UTVs is transmission (gear shift) issues. This problem arises from inadequate internal bearing and can cause the gear shifter to stick and not engage as it should.
In addition, many owners have reported experiencing grinding noises when attempting to shift into low or high gear, which indicates an issue with the turnbuckle shift linkage.
This problem occurs when one or both of the locknuts vibrate loose, resulting in the shift linkage transferring to an incorrect position.
Another issue commonly experienced with the Hisun UTV is clogged transmission filters. When this happens, the transmission fuel pump has to work harder to pull out the transmission fluid, which can lead to sticky transmission.
How to Fix:
- STEP 1: The first step is removing the seats and the center console to expose the engine bay. Once the engine bay is exposed, you’ll need to find the turnbuckle shift linkage on the passenger side. This will be secured with two locking nuts, which you’ll need to loosen with a 14mm wrench.
- STEP 2: Once the locknuts loosened, you will need to use an 8mm wrench to keep the turnbuckle in position and rotate it counterclockwise until it kicks into low gear. If you’re having trouble getting into high gear, you can do the same procedure but in the opposite direction.
- STEP 3: If the turnbuckle is loose and not shifting properly, you may need to adjust the tension on the shift linkage. This can be done by slightly tightening the two locknuts, but ensure not to overtighten them as this could cause further issues.
8. The Failure of Carburetor:
The carburetor is an essential part of the engine’s fuel delivery system. It mixes the fuel and air to form a mixture that helps the engine work correctly. When the carburetor fails, the engine will not be able to ignite the fuel, leading to a loss of power.
The most common reason for a carburetor failure is due to a worn-out diaphragm. Over time, the diaphragm can become worn out due to heat and friction.
Eventually, the diaphragm will become too weak to hold the fuel and air mixture, allowing the fuel to leak out. This will prevent the engine from igniting the fuel and causing a lack of power.
In some cases, the diaphragm can also become punctured, resulting in an even more significant fuel leak. In addition, a punctured diaphragm will not be able to create a strong enough seal to keep the fuel and air mixture in the carburetor.
This will cause the engine to produce inadequate amounts of power and will eventually lead to a complete breakdown.
How to Fix:
If you’re experiencing a lack of power in your Hisun UTV, you should check the carburetor for any signs of wear. This can include a worn-out diaphragm or a puncture.
If the diaphragm is worn out, it is recommended that you replace it with a new one. Likewise, if the diaphragm is punctured, you must replace the entire carburetor with a new one.
9. Problems with the Clutch:
Most Hisun UTV owners enjoy the benefits of the wet clutch system, which helps extend the transmission’s life and keeps things running smoothly. But, unfortunately, the wet clutch system is not without problems. The most common issue is clutch slippage.
Clutch slipping occurs when the clutch is not engaging correctly. This can happen when the clutch shoes wear out, or the clutch isn't engaging as it should. For example, if your UTV isn't accelerating as it should when you first rev the engine or struggling to reach higher speeds once it's already in high gear, it's likely due to a slipping clutch.
In some cases, the cause of the slipping may be an issue with the clutch cable. If the cable is loose, it may not connect the clutch properly, causing it to slip. Alternatively, if the cable is too tight, it may prevent the clutch from disengaging as it should.
How to Fix:
If your Hisun UTV’s clutch is slipping, the first thing to do is to ensure that the clutch disc is aligned correctly. This can be done by measuring the gap between the clutch disc and the flywheel and then adjusting the clutch cable accordingly.
If the clutch disc is not correctly aligned, it can cause the clutch to slip and cause your vehicle to lose power.
Another common issue with the Hisun UTV is improper lubrication of the clutch. Using the correct lubricant is crucial in maintaining the proper functioning of the clutch. It’s recommended to use oil specifically designed for wet clutches rather than regular motor oil.
You can find such oil labeled as "JASO" on the back of the bottle. Using full synthetic oil also works. Using regular motor oil in a wet clutch can lead to failure in the long run.
10. Issues Associated with Warranty:
One of the most common problems associated with Hisun UTVs is the warranty. The vehicle comes with a 2-year warranty, which may not be enough time to detect any problems. Many users report that issues with the vehicle can be noticed after 4-5 years of use, meaning the warranty will no longer be valid.
This can be a significant problem for Hisun UTV owners, as it can be challenging to get any assistance from the manufacturer in the event of a problem with the vehicle.
When users contact the manufacturer to solve a problem with the warranty, they often report that the manufacturer is very reluctant to give any help or respond to their complaints.
Reliability Factors of Hisun UTV:
Despite all the drawbacks mentioned above, Hisun has been producing high-quality UTVs for decades now. They are considered one of the most reliable due to their specifications and high-quality parts.
Some of the significant factors that make Hisun UTV the most reliable one are:
1. Quality of the Vehicle:
Hisun manufacturers have been making side-by-side utility vehicles for over a decade. They have improved much more with time and have introduced some trademark features that make them the best model in the market.
Hisun manufacturers have included an aluminum roof support, an aluminum ladder frame that provides strength, a steel roll cage, and a high-steel bumper.
In addition, there are soft and comfortable seats in the Hisun UTVs with a heated pair of handgrips.
2. Price of the Vehicle:
Some people consider the factor of reliability with the price of a vehicle. But the truth is not so. Reliability does not mean that the vehicle should be cheap. Price varies from model to model.
Hisun UTV holds a sleek design linked with the vehicle’s safety, comfort, efficiency, and reliability. Unfortunately, there are very few Hisun UTVs available in the market now that are considered reliable.
3. Order of Service:
It is easy to maintain the Hisun UTVs because of their high serviceability. Serviceability is the term used to describe the easiness of the vehicle as compared to other competitors in the market. Therefore, it is easy to maintain the Hisun UTV, and it is a good choice.
4. A Great Choice for Beginners:
Hisun UTV is considered a great option for beginner riders in their journey of off-roading. However, people usually prefer expensive vehicles as they consider them the appropriate ones to help them gain an adventure ride.
If you are a beginner, it is better to start with an inexpensive vehicle that will help you learn quickly. A small and inexpensive vehicle will also cost less in case you break something in it. Practicing off-roading with such vehicles is recommended before switching to expensive ones.
Tips for Maintaining the Hisun UTV:
Here, I will describe some tips for maintaining the Hisun UTV to last longer than usual.
Regularly changing the battery
Connection with dealers
Using a good oil for vehicle
Hisun UTVs offer excellent performance and ability at a fraction of the cost of traditional UTV brands. While there are specific common problems associated with Hisun UTVs, these are primarily due to neglect or a lack of maintenance and preventative care.
Hisun is continuously developing its products and ensuring the highest quality to provide its customers with the best possible product.
Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT: How to Fix the Most Common Problems
8 Most Common Problems with Can-AM Outlander 570- How to Fix
7 Common Polaris RZR 800 Problems- How to Fix Them
8 Common Yamaha Rhino 660 Problems- How to Fix Them
7 Common Coleman 550 UTV Problems- How to Fix
Honda 300EX Top Speed, Features, Pros & Cons- Overview
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Are Hisun ATVs considered reliable vehicles?
Hisun ATVs are considered the most reliable and durable vehicles. They hold excellent customer reviews and market demand.
Who are the manufacturers of the Hisun engine?
Hisun Motors corporation is a USA-based subsidiary of Hisun Motors. They are responsible for manufacturing Hisun products located in Chongqing, China.
Which sort of engine is used in Hisun?
Hisun Motors manufactures its 4-stroke liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine ranging from 200cc to 550cc. The company manufacturers raised their bar and introduced the first 4-stroke liquid-cooled v-twin engine.
How fast can a Hisun UTV go on roads?
Hisun UTVs have adjustable throttle limiters. They can reach almost the speed of 50 mph in an unrestricted form. Youth UTVs have a single-range transmission that provides more versatility on terrains.
Which sort of oil is used in the Hisun 500?
Hisun 500 uses Castrol power-1 racing oil, which provides them better working.
How much does a Hisun cost?
The base price of Hisun is between $14,599-$17,999. The additional features increase the cost, such as side mirrors costing $149, and the addition of a winch costs $499.
What are the specifications of a Hisun 450?
The Hisun 450 can attain a maximum speed of 65 km/h with an engine having a capacity of 454 cc. Hisun 450 ATV has a drive train of the axle.
This is Surya. I am an experienced off-roader. I have been off-roading for many years across several terrains. I am passionate about 4×4 driving and want to share my knowledge and experience with others.
My goal is to provide you with the most comprehensive and unbiased information about off-roading.
I curated this article through my personal experience and expertise, and I hope it helps you with what you are looking for.